02 January 2022

Sprinter tow hitch light refurb and misc fixes


A rear impact had pushed the rear step up into the path of the back doors making the opening and closing procedure a bit of a scrape-fest. I loosened everything off and reseated it and fixed the problem, but there was just enough rust that I decided to remove the whole thing and give it some attention. The trailer wiring harness was also destroyed so I tucked that out of the way to fix later.

Like the previous van, I had to use a 2metre breaker bar to get the wheel nuts off all round. Everything got anti seize grease, and now regular humans can perform a tyre change if required.

Stuff removed, power wire brushed, pressure washed, rust treated, sprayed gloss black (not shown), plastic step got some heat-gun reshaping, and everything was reinstalled. The doors now swing freely and the wheels are now removable with van tools.

It was a stinkin' hot 38'C day yesterday. I got up at 5:30am and worked 'till 11am then spray painted late in the evening and finished reinstalling everything this morning.

Images in no particular order, and not really with an audience in mind, they're more reference shots for me.