03 January 2022

Beginner level cosmetic fixes: mudflaps


The previous owner was kind enough to repeat the same failed kludge fix repeatedly on the right rear mudflap, and leave me with the beginners level fix that should have been done from the start.

This guy had slammed in x9 different sheet metal roofing screw holes into the rear fender over many failed mudflap repairs...why repeat the same failure so many times?? The guard was torn in half, and the roofing screws used had a smaller washer-head than the original screws. Just so bad. So Tradey'.

So I gave it a different level of beginners kludge repair, one that will probably last the remainder of the van's lifetime.

The broken pieces were kludged together with some truss-strapping I'd found on the side of the road years ago, and pop rivets. I gave them a squirt of black paint, and found some fresh screws with pan-head-washers and sprayed those black and re-mounted the whole thing. It's a massive kludge, but I don't expect it to ever fail. Some tyre cleaner/blackener makes it look fresh again after install.

ps: mudflaps are a RoadWorthy component in .au.

The rear step guard went back in this afternoon as well. I'm almost done with the basic cosmetic fixes and clean-up, then will move on to the heavy mechanical repairs after I get a windscreen crack fixed this week some time.