04 July 2012

More roadside table stuff


I found a small table on the side of the road, and performed some basic refurb work here.

I've since applied 2 coats of Tung Oil and a coat of wax to the top. No thinners were used with the oil, and I'm too lazy to pre-burnish/polish the timber with steel wool. If this was an elaborate, expensive piece of furniture I might consider such lengths, but not for a knock-around kitchen table. The base hasn't been disassembled or stripped down yet.

Yeah not particularly exciting. The teak-stained base is shown for color comparison.

The lighting is poor (overcast), but the top has a nice sheen with a burnished look.

Buffing out wax on timber is HARD work. A buffing disc on the drill might have been a good idea.


Tung oil and wax. This is plain old normal Tung oil, not heat treated (polymerised).
I'll get the base sorted soon enough. Even boring tables provide a sense of accomplishment. Go fix something.