13 September 2015

Bike camera mount

I'm doing a 7, and 14km downhill ride out at the Grampians shortly, and wanted to take some video of the ride. Microsoft's Hyperlapse video smoothinator is an incredibly impressive piece of software, and I want to run the ride video through it. Not to be confused with normal anti-vibration or stabilisation software, Hyperlapse actually tries to build a virtual 3d model of your path, and reforms the images to construct a moderated flight-path. I can only speculate much of the research for Photosynth went into this one.

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/redmond/projects/hyperlapse/

I needed a handlebar mount for my phone. Instead of burning cash, I made one from scraps in the shed. :)
It's mounted to the handlebars with a combination of parts from an old bell, and reflector mount. The rest is just some hardwood and polycarb.
I can even tilt it forward for "maps" mode. ;-)

The hole in the polycarb is for the camera so I don't get any refractory glare or other optical effects, something you're probably familiar with if you've tried to take shots through windows etc...
Should work out great. Can't wait to try it. Will upload the smooth-inated videos after the trip.